Monday 9 August 2010

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Having never read a war novel before I didn't know what to expect of this one. I was pleasantly surprised however to find it was a just below average read but not something I'd want to read again.

The story tells of an American-Italian war veteran who falls in love with a British nurse and, after suffering serious injuries, decides it's time to leave the army and settle elsewhere. However, as with all such stories, it doesn't come without complications to the protagonist.

Normally, I quite like the characters in any book I've read. This one, however, is different. The British woman is beyond annoying and someone I would happily tell to shut up with her whining and repetitive questions. Our American-Italian is another person who needs to learn when to shut up. That's not to say they're badly-written characters, just very, very annoying and possibly a purposeful move or Hemingway may have had a similar experience in his time up the front.

Hemingway's life experience and research are other things adding to the non-fictional roots of this story. It is also what makes the book well-written and easy to read. Rather than deep philosiphical explanations and sentences the writer sticks to the point. If one is interested in reading a war novel this may be one the best starters.

As mentioned before this book is well-written but not to everyone's tastes, including my own. In my opinion I'd have to give this book a 2.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment