Sunday 14 July 2013

Purity by Shaun Hutson

Shaun Hutson – Purity Review
So I finally got round to reading another Shaun Hutson book. I bought a handful of his books around a month or two ago, but due to studying and moving (and reading or not reading other books) I didn't pick this up and open it until a few days ago. 

As most people are aware, London's streets are well-known for its drug pushers, addicts and prostitutes, many of whom are suffering from various related diseases, and somebody doesn't like this. They believe that death is better than living with a body-destroying disease and so they begin a "classic" killing spree, except it's to make people better rather than worse.

I was a bit surprised with this book as, rather than Shaun Hutson's blood and guts gore like in Victims or The Skull, it's more of a mystery crime novel in the style of Simon Kernick or Peter James. The reader is constantly left guessing whodunnit or who this character really is and what they do, with some very surprising answers.

However, there are certain chapters which make one cringe as well as some dark humour, which is good if that’s your thing, bad if it’s not. It’s my thing though so I’ll consider that little addition quite good and fitting.

Without meaning to ruin the good too much, the ending is a genuine surprise, although it’s also somewhat guessable to such a novel, despite my previous claims. I’ll leave it to you to decide though.

Overall, I think Shaun has lightened his tone a bit in Purity but by doing so he’s knocked out a decent crime novel worth reading. Final rating: 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment