Tuesday 30 August 2011

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Ah, Bridget Jones, the epitome of feminist, bad-with-men-woman and food/drink intake obsessive. Bridget Jones is a 30something career-girl who is unable to settle with a man, has a gay best friend (hag-fag) and records every unit of alcohol, every calorie and every cigarette she consumes each day.

The book (or woman) is an example of a (then) modern-day career-girl. Throughout one year, Bridget Jones juggles her jobs, friends, men, cooking and crazed mum while trying to maintain a Zen-state. And failing, with humorous consequences including bad choice of clothing (not that I'd know without reading this book), blue soup, hangovers from hell and a boss whom she is unable to stop falling for. It's all good though, because it makes a good read at the expense of others.

I've been a fan of the film adaptations for years and seen them way too many times so when I found this book in a charity shop it had to be bought and read ASAP (I'd been reading a book on the Manson murders but due to a broken radial head (aka outer elbow) I fancied something more upbeat). It's amusing, light-hearted, merry and worth the 75p I paid for it. Not forgetting that Bridget is almost the exact replica of my mum.

Although this book has a very similar storyline to the films, there are certain parts which were not added to the film and vice versa. Not that I was disappointed (although I do rather like the Darcy/Cleaver fight mid-film), after all, change/difference is good. I also liked that it was very much like Jane Austen's horrible novel Pride and Prejudice as it gave me a basic idea of the story.

Now, after much blabbering and jabbering on, what do I give the novelisation of one of my favourite films with some of my favourite actors?

4 out of 5 (and not because it's a favourite film)



No comments:

Post a Comment