Monday 24 January 2011

Nirvana Bites by Debi Alper

A quick note here: I was reading Anne Rice's 'Interview With the Vampire' for 3 days but just couldn't get into it so I gave up on that one and cracked the spine of this book on Saturday night.

This is, yet again, another book I picked up in Poundland and another good yet light read.

Nirvana Bites is a book which is hard to put into any one category as it involves humour, crime, trash, weirdness and drugs so it's a book for anyone really.

The story tells of a BBC Researcher who is at risk of being uncovered as a participant in the 'alternative' world of S&M. After the protagonist manages to stop the BBC worker from being kidnapped she goes to extreme lengths to protect him and find out who is guilty of the kidnapping attempt.

What follows is the activities of household which calls itself 'Nirvana'. There are deaths, attacks and crazy characters as the team go to lengths to uncover the whole scandal and as they dig deeper they find that it is all because of a secret fascist movement in London which will go to extreme lengths to remain a secret. We soon find out that all is not what it seems with 'Stapled Stan' the submissive BBC employee.

This is a book which moves nice and fast with page-turning chapters, quirky characters and anarchistic activities. If you're looking for a light read with a good storyline then this is a book to read if it can be found. Although not one which invokes loud screams of laughter, it is a book which produces a smile.

Although likely to be put onto my "For sale" pile this was an very enjoyable book and one which I'll give a rating of 4 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pete. I found this review via Google alerts. I'm glad you enjoyed the book (less glad that it was in Poundland!) and hope you pass it on to someone else who will derive pleasure from it. Good luck with your own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a shame that it ended up in Poundland but I don't think I would have found it in any other place as I usually visit bookshops with a writer in mind. However, after reading Nirvana Bites, I'll have to add you to one of my writers-in-mind for the future.

    Hopefully it'll be enjoyed by the next reader who could be anyone at this moment.

    And a final thanks. I seem to be getting some recognition and publications going now so hopefully the road ahead is a good one.

    ReplyDelete